Wednesday, January 12, 2011

#63 Oh, Why The Hell Not?

Ok, so I'm not a teacher right now.  I proposed a class, Difficult Fiction, and the employer and I had a difference of pedagogy ("you just can't teach Ulysses in two months, son...and who is William Gaddis?").  I am, however, going to help teach a class this semester.  We don't have a syllabus yet...but we have thoughts on a syllabus...and thoughts on a framework.  The teacher gave me articles to read and respond to over the break and, rather than posting my syllabus - as I've seen so many intelligent writing teachers out in the internet sand trap do - I'm going to post the correspondence between the teacher and myself, as we work out the syllabus...because it's maybe actually more fun and we'll talk about more artists than we'll likely wind up teaching... here goes:

Hello E-,

How are you?  How's the break been?  Sorry it's taken me so long, but I've had the chance to look through all of the articles you gave me and I wanted to touch base with you about them.  

First, I agree with you about the John Cage lecture (On Commitment, given at Wesleyan 1973): it's excellent...(more).


No comments:

Post a Comment